Myopia (nearsightedness) and accommodative (focusing) issues are common problems faced by many people worldwide. It can affect one’s quality of life and lead to a host of other problems. People typically spend thousands of dollars on eyewear or refractive surgery. Myopia may limit opportunities such as sports and certain occupations. Myopia can also cause certain eye diseases such as retinal detachment, glaucoma or cataracts. The following are the main causes of myopia and accommodative issues:
1. Prolonged use of digital devices: With the rise of technology and the increasing amount of time people spend in front of screens, it’s no wonder that digital eye strain is on the rise. The blue light emitted from digital devices can strain the eyes and lead to fatigue, headaches, and poor vision.
2. Lack of proper lighting: Poor lighting can cause eye strain and lead to headaches, eye fatigue, and blurred vision. This is especially true for those who spend a lot of time reading or working on a computer.
3. Poor posture: Slouching or hunching over while using a computer or reading can cause eye strain and lead to neck, back, and shoulder pain. This can also put unnecessary strain on the eyes and lead to eye fatigue and poor vision.
4. Lack of regular eye exams: Regular eye exams can detect and prevent vision problems before they become serious. People who skip regular eye exams are at a higher risk of developing poor vision.
5. Genetics: Many eye diseases and myopia can be passed down from one generation to another. If your family has a history of eye problems, it’s important to take extra precautions to protect your eyes.
The HoldOn EyeCare Clip is an innovative product that can help prevent bad eye habits and may reduce the risk of myopia and focusing issues. With its AI technologies, it connects to your smartphone and clips onto your eyeglasses. It vibrates to alert you when you are too close to the screen, your posture is awkward, the lighting is too dim, and it also allows you to monitor how much time you spend using your electronic devices.
In conclusion, by adopting healthy eye and posture habits, avoiding prolonged use of digital devices, and using products like the HoldOn EyeCare Clip, you can protect your eyes from the risk of nearsightedness and focusing / eyestrain issues.
David G. Jupiter, OD. Optometrist from Lavenburg Medical Group in Newark, Delaware